Friday, April 19, 2013

Buy-Bye


Everything I own detracts from writing time. There’s the time spent shopping for the item to begin with. Then a number possessions need to be winterized, color-coordinated, insured, registered, rust-proofed, synced, tuned, repainted, stored, or protected from breakage. Added to the mix now are surveys asking me to evaluate every purchase from an ice cream cone to a light bulb. Then comes the request to “like” their Facebook page and tweet about the purchasing experience. It’s enough to discourage the most avid shopper.
This month I seriously upgraded aging technology. I have a new Windows 8 desktop computer and a Surface Pro. I love both systems. The Surface Pro is everything I hoped it would be. A small computer with all the Windows applications. It syncs with my Desktop through Sky Drive. Through the miracle of the internet I can pick up right where I left off in my latest manuscript no matter where I am.

If a place has internet capability that is. I forgot about that.

I had forgotten a number of other things. Not everything works. Something was wrong with the Bluetooth speakers. Thinking about number of phone calls involved before I got a return label gives me a headache.
Basically, though, it was money well spent. I started writing when my kids were little and can write about anywhere. The family made a wild dash back to Kansas last weekend. As I am an early riser, it gave me a great deal of satisfaction to be able to slip down to the hotel lobby and work in peace while they slept.
I can't imagine the agony of trying to do extensive revisions on an old manual typewriter. Composite files are heavenly. What did we ever do without global searches to straighten out screw-ups?
But I missed posting on the Poisoned Pen Press blog for the first time because I didn't have the good sense to write and schedule my post ahead of time. I missed posting on Type M too. Part of the problem was that I was messing with technology instead of thinking about commitments. Thinking takes time. Writing takes time. Making stuff work is a real time drain.
Nevertheless, despite the fact that my new systems are better and faster, I'm saying goodbye to buying. I simply don't have the time for much more improvement.

3 comments:

Toe Hallock said...

Whoops! For a moment there my brain convinced me you wrote "I'm saying goodbye to writing." Luckily, since I no longer completely trust that convoluted matter between my ears, I double checked what I thought I had just read. Whew! Ain't technology fun? Yours truly, Toe.

Charlotte Hinger said...

Toe, yes--why do I forget what all is involved in switching computers. It wouldn't recognize my camera, then I remembered that I had to reinstall software. That sort of things.

Some good news, so far I'm not having problems with stuff not being compatible with Windows 8

synge lucia said...

Whoops! For any second presently there my personal mind persuaded me personally a person authored "I'm stating farewell in order to composing. inch Fortunately, since i have no more totally believe in which convoluted issue in between my personal ear, We dual examined exactly what We believed I'd simply study. Whew! Isn't technologies enjoyable?


buy fifa coins
lol boost
cheapest fifa 14 coins