by Catherine Dilts
Can I please crawl back into my author cave now?
I participated in writing events Saturday and Sunday this
weekend. Both were well-attended, fun, and fruitful.
| My table at the Parker Library |
The Douglas County Libraries welcome authors of all varieties, both traditionally and independently published. The Local Author Showcase on August 15th featured fiction and non-fiction, from teen authors to seniors, and an amazing variety of subjects.
We were given five minutes to speak. I revealed the
inspiration behind my first fiction sale. The audience seemed to relate. Who
doesn’t dream of killing an annoying coworker?
My co-author daughter Merida Bass described her own journey from escaping
teaching college-level mathematics to unwilling students, to becoming an artist,
children’s storybook author and illustrator, and co-author of cozy mysteries.
We won the Colorado Authors League award in the humor
category for our novel, Grandpa’s New Year’s Relocation. We think that
means we can write a funny tale.
Writing and public speaking are two different things. I hope
people don’t expect me to be witty in person. I’m not that interesting.
Yet when we gave our brief speeches, the audience laughed.
And bought our books.
The very next day, we went to Basecamp Books and Adventure for their first annual Book Bash. We didn’t know what to expect. Neither did the shop owner, Joe. The crowds were so huge that they overwhelmed the air conditioning and the cash register.
Fortunately for us, Merida had set up a purchasing app on
her phone, so we could do our own sales. She sold completely out of the children’s
book, The Jelly Monster. It’s a popular picture book. Kids love it.
We gave no speeches this day. But we did pitch our books.
Constantly. Over and over.
Many customers were horror and thriller fans. We pitched to
them anyway. It was good practice.
Sales were respectable. We will definitely participate
again.
Two days in a row were a bit much for me.
Being in public requires a certain level of decorum. Sure, I
don’t have to, but I choose to dress like an adult. Wear makeup. Comb my hair.
Things I don’t do when I’m writing at home.
But Monday, in the aftermath of all the excitement, I just
wanted to lounge around the house.
Nope. Things to do, projects to complete, blog articles to
write. I was able to partially crawl back into my writing cave. Or rather,
write on the deck and enjoy the outdoors. Summer weather. The cat lunging after
hummingbirds. And I worked in my pajamas.
Appearing in public is the part of being an author I have
avoided. My daughter is pushing me to actually act like this is a career. So
far, it’s working. We’re making progress. Getting our names and our brand out
there.
As long as I can have my cave time, I guess it’s okay. Living
the pajama life makes it all worthwhile.
| Is that butterfly edible, the cat asks. |
No comments:
Post a Comment
IF YOU ARE HERE TO POST A SPAM COMMENT, PLEASE DON’T BOTHER. It will never appear. All comments on Type M are now subject to review. To legitimate commenters, we’re very sorry for this, but something had to be done. YOUR comments will be displayed ASAP! And thanks for commenting.