Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Readerly Terms

On Twitter the other day I stumbled across Powell’s Compendium of Readerly Terms. That’s Powell’s bookstore in Portland, OR. Readers contribute words they’ve invented to the compendium, all to do with reading and/or books. You can read all about it here, but I thought I’d share a few of the words I’ve fallen in love with.

ambuliterate – proficient in the art of reading while walking

Starting in junior high, I walked home from school. I think it was about a mile. All on sidewalks with streets to cross and lights to worry about. I became quite proficient at reading while walking, always stopping at each intersection and looking up to make sure it was safe to cross. Then I’d resume reading once I was on the sidewalk once again.

booquet – (1) a medley of books in a pleasing arrangement, (2) a selection of handpicked books presented as a gift

gready – having an intense desire to read every book ever written

I think I was “greadier” when I was younger than I am now. I’ve become pickier about what I read these days. I’m still hoping to get through most of the books I have in my library, though.

The Late Gatsby – a person late to the party when it comes to reading a popular or classic book

I’m afraid this is often me. I’m rather ashamed to admit that I still haven’t read “To Kill a Mockingbird”. One day...

plothead – a person who gets high on books daily

That’s my kind of high. I try to read something every day, easier to do when I’m not nearing a deadline.

read rage – aggressive behavior by a reader angered by a book’s contents, often directed at the book itself

I’m not terribly proud of this one. I once threw a book across the room because I was so annoyed with the wimpiness of the main character. I don’t mind wimpy characters in books, I just don’t want them to be the protagonist. This was the second book in a series. Needless to say, I didn’t finish it and didn’t bother reading any others in the series.

bookclipse – a phenomenon in which a book is so engrossing that it completely obscures one’s perception of time

This one happens to me a lot. That’s why I set alarms when I really, really have to be someplace and I’m just reading a bit before I have to leave.

readultery – the act of being unfaithful to one book while reading another concurrently

This is me. I often have 3 books going at once, one cozy, one non-cozy mystery, one nonfiction book.

So, what about you? What are your favorite readerly terms? Either ones listed in Powell’s Compendium or ones you’ve invented yourself?

No comments: