Monday, August 05, 2024

Something New for Me--Historical Fiction


 By Thomas Kies


I’m nearly finished reading a fascinating book called Skies of Thunder by Caroline Alexander. Non-fiction, it’s set in World War II and describes the Burma/India/China theater of war, primarily the transport of supplies and men over the jungles and the Himalayan Mountains.  The terrain is treacherous, the weather is unpredictable and often fatal, the jungles are deadly, and the missions are notoriously muddled and confusing. 

In short, it’s mesmerizing. I’d love to set a mystery there.

I’ve tried writing historical fiction only once.  And there’s a reason for that.  The title of the book was Crossbones and, obviously from the title, it was about pirates.  It was set in 1692 and culminated in the destruction of the notorious pirate haven Port Royal, Jamaica, wracked by an earthquake and tidal wave.   

Not only was the end of Port Royal a disaster, but so was my novel
Crossbones
.  I swore I’d never attempt a historical novel again.

Well, fifteen years later, maybe I’ve gotten my courage back.  I’ve always been fascinated with the forties (having been born only a few years later). I grew up listening to the music, watching the movies, and, more recently, glued to documentaries on the war. 

Now, we have some authors here on Type M for Murder who excel at historical fiction.  Admittedly, I do not. Hopefully, they can offer some advice.  But in the meantime, like any novice, I asked the internet for advice. 

In an article by M.K. Tod entitled 7 Elements of Historical Fiction, he lists these items that should be top of mind: Character, Setting, Dialogue, Theme, Plot, Conflict, and World Building.  

Really, not so different than a novel set in our current time. 

Just kidding---it’s way different.  

Let’s take character.  According to M.K. Tod, characters behave within the confines of the era they inhabit.  Obviously, if the story takes place during WWII, the protagonist isn’t going to be pulling out his cellphone. 

Dialogue is tricky.  You want to use some sentence structure and words of the era, but not so many as to be completely distracting to the reader.  I guess this is easier in a story from the forties than a tale from the Middle Ages. 

Setting…well, now, that can be fun, can’t it?  It will be different from what we’re used to, but that’s the joy of a historical novel.  This is where you can bring the past to life.

World building.  Isn’t that the same as setting?  Well, not really.  This is what was happening at the time including politics, world events, occupations, food, customs, social interactions and a lot more. 

Theme, plot and conflict---this is what I’m used to dealing with.  As I teach in my creative writing class, all stories have their basis in conflict.  

So, part of the allure for me is doing research. I can go back and listen to the music again, watch old films, and read the books about that time and place.  Like I tell the folks who take my class, try it on for size and see how it feels.  Write a chapter or two and see if it fits. 

Wish me luck.  And if you have any advice, please share with me.  

Happy writing!

3 comments:

Rose Cushing said...

Enjoyed your blog. I wish you good luck, although you don’t need it. I will anxiously wait for it to hit print.

Jessi Waugh said...

Research before writing so you don’t need to pause as much in the flow.

Sybil Johnson said...

I read two books on writing historical fiction. Thought they were both interesting.
1) How to Write Killer Historical Mysteries by Kathy Lynn Emerson
2) Once Upon a Time It Was Now: The Art and Craft of Writing Historical Fiction by James Alexander Thom