Monday, November 26, 2018

Cooking the Books

Following on from Rick's suggestion to share our characters' favourite foods, I've been really enjoying the recipes that the others have posted.  It's always seemed to me that food's too important a subject not to have its place in even imaginary lives so here's my contribution to Rick's Recipe Book.  

In my DI Marjory Fleming series, the Tin always features.  Marjory's mother Janet is mortified by her daughter's total lack of interest and indeed competence when it comes to cooking. She feels it reflects badly on her upbringing - and here I confess I feel the same about my own daughter who, like Marjory, feels there are better things to do with her time.  In sympathy for her deprived husband and children, Janet regularly brings them the Tin full of home-baked goodies and collects it again to refill once it is emptied.  She is also a notable baker for the Coffee Mornings, an important feature of Scottish small town life, often in aid of the Lifeboat.

This is one of  the traditional Scottish favourites that would find its place in the Tin.

Boil Bake Loaf.
Grease and base-line a 2 pt loaf tin.  Preheat the oven to 180C

1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups raisins
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Put into a pan and bring to the boil stirring.  Turn the heat down and simmer until the mixture has caramelised to a lovely deep brown.   Cool.
2 cups self-raising flour
2 eggs.
Stir in, then pour into loaf tin.  Bake for 40-45 minutes, then use a skewer to check that the centre is fully cooked - depending on your oven, it could well take longer.
Cool on a rack and served sliced and buttered. 

Enjoy!
 

4 comments:

Anna said...

M. F. K. Fisher had an eggless version of this that she called War Cake (made during WWI and WWII because of restrictions on eggs, and with any kind of fats saved from other cooking, with cinnamon, cloves, etc. to hide their taste). The technique is the same, starting with the boiled mixture. This looks delicious, especially with the use of eggs, and I will try it very soon. Thanks!

Aline Templeton said...

A pleasure, Anna. Very interesting about MKF Fisher. I don't know whether this developed from it, once eggs were available but it does go back to my mother's time. Good luck making it! It's so easy and it really does have a lovely flavour if you cook it till it's really caramelising.

Charlotte Hinger said...

I want to try this, Aline. I have a granddaughter who is my "culinary heir" and wants to get my old recipes before I die. Today that time seems eminent

Aline Templeton said...

I have one like that! She's pretty good already and I've given her some of mine for her recipe book. The other one has ear-marked a couple of things after I die but I don't feel ready to oblige her yet. We have to hang in there, Charlotte!