Friday, June 12, 2020

Character Playlist

In this moment of fear, anger, and discontent -- in the midst of hope vs. despair -- I am wondering what my characters would say about all this. Lizzie, the liberal, engaged to Quinn, the white former cop. Hannah, my police detective, who is now in the 2020 election year with a third party candidate who bears a striking resemblance to the present occupant of the White House. What kind of conversation is she having with her liberal, white, retired journalist father?

I've been thinking about their playlists. Actually, Angus, Hannah's father, is easy. Roger Whittaker, "New World in the Morning":


And he loves this song, and would have this commercial stored on his ORB. Beyonce reminds him of his late wife, a strong woman who channeled her fierceness through her poetry. And, of course, he's not too old to enjoy the costumes:


And Lizzie, my crime historian? What would she play for her white ex-military police officer, ex-homicide detective, fiance when she wants to get him to talk to her about what's happening?


Quinn, being Quinn, would probably not to have a lot to say when she tries to get him to talk about cops. She would get upset with him and storm out to walk his dog. He would watch her go while he's thinking about what to say. When she returns, she would hear this song playing:


I am composing my own playlist for 2020. I'm sure many of you are doing the same.

Take care and be safe.



No comments: