Tuesday, December 08, 2020

A prescription for this holiday season

By Rick Blechta

Toronto, where I live, is currently in a partial lockdown. My wife and I decided when the current lockdown began three weeks ago, that if we needed anything we were going to do our best to patronize our small local shops because they need all the help they can get.

So no fast food from the big chain restaurants, using our local hardware store instead of Homeless Despot. Sure, online providers such as Amazon are pretty damned convenient and super-fast, but at the end of all this, we want to have small shops still in business so we do our best to help.

If you’re hear on Type M, either as a reader or one of our group of excellent writers, I certain you have the warm and fuzzies for at least one independent book store and I’ll further posit that it is one that specializes in crime fiction. Perhaps it sells nothing else.

Here’s something you may not know, that bookseller — like all others — can easily order any book you might want. Sure, you might have to wait a week or two, rather than next-day service from Amazon, but you will get your book, and you’ll be helping a business that is likely having a hard go of it right now.

Here in Toronto, we crime fiction lovers are blessed with the most excellent Sleuth of Baker Street, so last week, faced with a curtailed holiday season, when my wife and I decided to make use of that down time to enjoy a bit of reading (with no guilt!), the only place to call was Sleuth. Several of our favourite authors have new books out and there are two Type M members who I’m looking forward to get into their work, so we have a big pile waiting for pick-up.

It dawned on me that with all the gift-giving coming up in three weeks, we have the opportunity right now to do some good, so I have a proposal for every one of the people reading this post to buy at least two books this holiday season.

First, you  deserve a book. Since March, you’ve put up with a lot, haven’t you? You need a reward! Could I suggest buying one from one of the Type M authors — especially if you’ve never read one of their books. We have some exceptional authors here, and I can recommend all of them without hesitation, plus we “cover the waterfront” as far as subject matter goes. The bottom line is, though, just buy a book, any book. Then put up your feet and enjoy several hours in a made up world.

Also, as many of us have mentioned in previous December posts, there is a tradition in Iceland, a very wonderful tradition, to give or exchange books on Christmas Eve. Whether you celebrate that holiday or not, why not give someone a book before year’s end? It would make them very happy I’m sure, help out a struggling business, and give you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Heaven knows we need more of those!

So that’s Dr. Blechta’s prescription for making this month better than it might be. I’ve bought my comfort reading, and I’ve ordered books to be given as presents. I’ve managed to do something good and bring smiles to a lot of faces along the way.

5 comments:

Susan D said...

I'm with you, Rick. All my book buying for the past 9 months has been from the local indy bookshop. They order anything I want.

Anna said...

Yes, indeed, Rick. All my gifts this year are books, and I have ordered them from my excellent local bookshop. Next step: perusing this site for a gift from me to me, and ordering that one locally as well. The only problem: how to choose? (Hmmm...my birthday is not far off...I feel a twofer coming on...or even a tnreefer...)

Donna S said...

I totally agree with your comments Rick. We have a wonderful "gently used" book shop here in our little town and the owner has become a friend. I have bought 3 books for Christmas gifts and plan to buy more. She even puts books away for me when they come in because she knows what I read, then calls for me to come and see and choose! What service!
Sleuth of Baker Street is wonderful too as are the proprietors. So glad you put in a good word for them!

Rick Blechta said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, Susan, Anna and Donna! I found my person to whom I'm giving a book: my granddaughter Lucy. She's not getting crime fiction but she getting a very nice book that I'm hoping she'll love.

So I'm good to go for Christmas!

Donis Casey said...

I am so lucky to live in the same metro area as the wonderful Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale,AZ, and boy have they gotten my business lately!