Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Oh, To Travel Again!

 

Rick’s post yesterday reminded me how much I miss traveling. I’ve done a fair amount of it over the years, though not since the pandemic hit. I haven’t even been out of the county in the last year or so.

Back in the early 1980s through about 1990, I took a lot of slides. Remember when you had to load film in a camera and you didn’t know whether a picture turned out until it was developed? Yeah, I’m that old.

Anyway, I recently bought a Kodak Slide N Scan, which allows me to convert old slides and negatives to digital pictures. I’ve slowly been going through some of the many slides I took and remembering those trips. Here are a few of them. all from the 1980s:

Here’s Hanauma Bay on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. From 1982, my first trip to the islands.

 


Here’s the Space Needle in the early 80s. It’s changed a bit since this photo was taken. I grew up in the Seattle area so I have a special fondness for this landmark.

 


Here’s a peacock I encountered on the grounds of Warwick Castle in England in 1984. That was a fun trip with my sister.

 


Here’s a photo of the Green River within a short distance of the house where I grew up. Just a few bends down the river is where the first bodies of the victims of the Green River Killer were found. 

 


Here’s one of a backgammon game we saw on a trip to Venice, Italy in the mid to late 80s. KGB vs. CIA. 


 There’s a lot more for me to scan in. It’ll take me quite awhile. I’ll be traveling in my mind until we can actually move around the country and the world again.

No comments: