Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Can It Happen?

 by Charlotte Hinger


On my way to Kansas last month, I listened to Dissolution, Michael Gear's first book in his two-book Wyoming Chronicles series. It was mesmerizing. So much so, that when I returned, I immediately checked out the second book, The Fourth Quadrant, from the library. 

Gear speculates that if someone or some country introduces malware into the United States monetary system, (especially our credit cards) it would bring the whole country down. Normally, I'm not a science fiction fan nor do I usually seek out books set in the future, but I had no problem believing the chaos that would ensue. 

In the book no one could get gas. Think they could have paid cash? You can't withdraw your money if there are no accurate records of bank balances. The book is terrifying and very plausible. 

In the past, when people talked about terrorist attacks on the United States, I have always imagined something chemical or biological. I never dreamed so much damage could come from ruining our monetary system. Naturally, the people who immediately took control were thugs who ignored the Constitution and took advantage of the situation. There was a complete breakdown of the laws that undergird our society. 

The book seemed credible! If it had been written at another time, perhaps it would have seemed farfetched. However, the biggest shock to me was (and always will be) the destruction of the New York trade center. I honestly didn't believe that could happen to America. 

For that matter, I was astonished by the damage caused by Covid. Who would have thought that in this time of sweeping medical advances that a virus would cause so many deaths. 

Perhaps even more surprising to me is that I believe that goodness will triumph in the end. There have always been right-minded people who do the right thing at the right time and save the future. 

Dame Julian of Norwich said it best: "And all will be well, and all manner of things will be well."

4 comments:

Anna said...

When 9/11 happened, I thought right away of a possible breakdown in the banking system and/or the electric grid. I immediately withdrew as much cash as possible, filled up my gas tank, obtained many days' worth of groceries, and did all the laundry (especially sheets and towels in case my NYC relatives needed to flee to my rural town). That was then....not now! Charlotte, maybe my nature is more suspicious than yours.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Charlotte, when I read Dissolution, I had no trouble believing it could happen. Gear is a fine writer.

Charlotte Hinger said...

Anna, I would like to see this country stop fighting and get straightened out in my lifetime. The rancor is scary

Charlotte Hinger said...

Patricia, I've read so many of the Gear's early "people of" books and I find it frightening that they've moved on to the disintegration of our own civilization.