Wednesday, October 04, 2023

Aflunters, Biblioklept and Wordify

 

by Sybil Johnson

From the title, you can guess that I’ve spent a bit of time recently looking at books that list obsolete English words. In this case it was The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable Words Ever Forgotten by Jeffery Kacirk.  Yes this is what I do in my spare time!

Here are some of my favorites that I found. I think we should bring some of these back.

abracadabrant – marvelous or stunning

aflunters – in a state of disorder. This describes my desk these days. 

baffound – to stun and perplex 

biblioklept – one who steals books 

bruzzle – make a great to-do 

cabobble – to mystify, puzzle, confuse flonker – anything very large or outrageous 

gloppened – surprised 

quanked – overpowered by fatigue (felt like this a bit this past week) ruly – obedient. We should bring this one back. Unruly is still used today, why not this one? 

thrunched – very angry, displeased 

trilemma – any choice between three alternatives 

wordify – to put into words. This one sounds like something that is quite modern, at least to my ears. So, I’m not a writer, I’m a wordifier!

3 comments:

Anna Chapman said...

Excellent words, Sybil. I especially like aflunter and trilemma (now my spellchecker is whining, poor thing). I'm going to try them out in conversation today and enjoy the responses.

Anna Chapman said...

Great list, Sibyl. I like "trilemma" and will work it into my conversation during the next few days. The Britishism "pudding" always gives me an instant mental picture of a soft sweet smooth something in a dish, to be eaten with a spoon, before I realize that "pudding" is the generic term for a dessert. Same spelling, different meaning. Let us celebrate our "common language!"

Sybil Johnson said...

Glad you enjoyed the post. Pudding always makes me think when I am watching the Great British Baking Show.