Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Musings on Categorization

 by Sybil Johnson

People like to categorize things, to put things in boxes. I think it makes it easier for us to deal with and remember all of the information that we’re bombarded with every day.

This includes categorizing books. We have crime fiction, non-fiction, scifi, general fiction etc. With crime fiction there are sub-categories like cozies, thrillers, private eye...

Categorization can be comforting. We know what to expect. If I pick up a book that’s marketed as a cozy, I know what kind of story I’ll be reading. (Assuming it’s categorized correctly.) I expect certain things from it. If those expectations aren’t met, I can get a little miffed.

I picked up a book the other day that sounded intriguing. I didn’t really know going in how it was categorized. I started reading and almost immediately was confused and a little unsettled. Not that it wasn’t interesting. I wasn’t sure if I was reading a comedy, a mystery, a mystical story... It unnerved me for some reason.

Knowing what a book is categorized as going in seems to be important to me. It also seems to be important to marketing folks. What happens, though, when you have cross-genre books? I’ve heard of books that aren’t published because they don’t know how to market them.

But, does a book’s categorization prevent people who might enjoy it from reading it because they don’t read: cozies, thrillers, scifi, etc. I hope not.

#

In other news, I am very excited that my short story, “Fatal Return”, was selected to be in the latest Sisters in Crime/Los Angeles anthology, Angel City Beat. I believe it’s going to be out the end of the year, but I don’t have a firm date yet.

This is the first time one of my short stories has made it into an anthology. I’ve had some published online, but usually it’s rejection, rejection, rejection when it comes to anthologies. 

Here are the stories and the cover: 


 

No comments: