Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Working With An Editor

 by Sybil Johnson

This week I'm working on edits to my short story, "Fatal Return," which will be in the latest Sisters in Crime/Los Angeles anthology, Angel City Beat. Our editor is the fabulous Barb Goffman, recent recipient of the Short Mystery Fiction Society’s Edward D. Hoch Memorial Golden Derringer Award. She’s also received numerous other awards for her short fiction.

I like being edited, but I've never had an editor go over one of my short stories before. The half dozen of my short fiction that have been published have only lightly been edited, mostly for grammar. That always disappointed me a bit. While I was happy the stories were thought good enough to be published basically as-is, I always felt a good editor would have made them better.

So I am very excited to work with Barb. She pointed out areas where something didn't make sense or didn't work, which I appreciate. I'm busy working on changes to the story.

This has all gotten me thinking about working with an editor. I don’t take criticism well so I usually have to take a deep breath before I open the file with the suggested edits in it. Still, I do appreciate being edited. I’ve worked with several different ones for my books. They've all been helpful and fun to work with. Here are my thoughts on working with an editor.

  • Treat your editor with respect. They are not the enemy. They want to make your story the best it can be. I suppose there are some editors out there who have their own agendas, but luckily I haven’t worked with any of them. I feel like the ones I’ve had for my books have all treated me with respect and have considered it a collaborative process.
  • Consider every edit carefully, even the easy stuff. You can often learn something about grammar or punctuation or writing that you can use in the future.
  • Don’t immediately reject a suggestion. Sometimes I see one and my first reaction is “No, not a chance in heck.” Okay, maybe I’m a little more vocal about it, but I’m alone so no one’s listening. Often, though, if I sit with the suggested change a bit, I get where they’re coming from and agree that a change should be made. There has been the rare case where I don’t take a suggestion, but I have a reason for it beyond “heck no.”
  • If you still don’t agree, look for a root cause for the edit. There’s often something that needs to be addressed, just not necessarily in the way the editor suggested.
  • Be polite when asking the editor why they suggested a change. I’ll ask about a change when, even after I thought about it, I still don’t understand why it was suggested. I consider it a dialogue between us to help me make the story the best it can be.
Those are my thoughts on working with an editor. Now, back to those edits. I have a little thinking to do.

No comments: